Friday, April 11, 2014

Here's to Us!

I wasn't given the chance at a privilege speech during my graduation. That honor is reserved for the brightest in class. I am not. I never was the "--est" in my class even before coming to medical school. But I feel that some form of gratitude speech/post is in order, especially for the people who helped me reach my second pitstop.

1. My parents -- Noel and Angie Pagdanganan.

Before attending college, people assumed that I would follow my mother's footsteps as a nurse. But surprisingly, my mom was against it. I am not that good in math so becoming an engineer like my dad was out of the question, too. So I decided to level-up my mom's profession, I went into the health sciences and eventually medicine. I am now the 8th doctor in the family. The 7th in my generation. The 10th, including the laterals.

So it is fitting that the first in my list are my parents, who never gave up on their daughter, despite lots of mischiefs she managed to get into. Seeing your proud smiles during the graduation erased all the exhaustion I felt especially during the last few weeks of junior internship.

2. Ninang Allyn and Tito Mon.

My mom's older sister and her husband who serves as my second parents. I didn't have to invite them to my graduation, it is given that the two extra seats are for them, no questions asked. Ninang has been my second mom ever since I can remember even until after she got married and had a kid of her own. Thank you for always praying for me, the guidance during the times when I was confused as to what I really want to be. Sorry for missing many important family gatherings, but I know that you understand the demands of the profession I want to belong to.

3. My Oca Cousins -- Erjohn, Anna and Feliz.

There's only four of us, and being your super ate, sorry if at times I cannot be with you. But this is for you, too. We have a relatively small family and all we have is each other. Always keep that in mind. Ate is always here for you, no matter how busy or crazy her schedule becomes.

4. My Pagdanganan Cousins -- Kuya Almer MD, Ate Lisette MD, Ate Ivy JD, Ate Chela MD, Arni MD, Jhec MD and Hester MD.

I finally feel that I belong. Thank you for the kind words and encouragement during the times that I want to just quit and go into research seclusion. Thank you for making me realize that even though a PhD is just as rewarding, an MD will suit me better. And you were right.

5. The DVMI Sisters -- Sr Bren, Sr Julien, Sr Cristina, Sr Eloisa and Sr Adelie.

Thank you for always including me in your Vespers and Lauds. For always telling me to not give up when med school was slowly dragging my hopes down. For giving me the spiritual integrity to fight every battle with a clean heart, that despite being soaked in science, I would never fail to marvel at the work of God and to know where my abilities as a healer would end and to let God do the rest.

6. Fr. Anthony.

You were my Parish Priest when I decided to go to medical school. You wanted to send me to World Youth Day 2008 in Sydney, Australia but unfortunately, I had to say no because of my classes. You supported me throughout my tenure as President and eventually Coordinator of the Parish Youth Ministry. A few months into medical school, I started losing grip of the Ministry but you never lost your faith in me. Thank you for the prayers, for the spiritual support and for being a good friend throughout my med school years.

7. Fr. Rico.

Since you came to our Parish more than a year ago, you never failed to show support to PYM. And even though I had my share of shortcomings especially in the last few months, you stood by me as the Coordinator. I am almost ready to turn over the position I have been holding since 2006 to someone equally capable of handling the youth soon.

8. The Parish Youth Ministry.

These kids were my lifesavers. They gave me back my self-confidence and self-worth when I was going through one of the most painful heartbreaks one can imagine. You gave me back my life when I thought things would not get better.

9. My first med school barkada -- Nikki, Jilly, Apple, Tres, Gary and Ron.

It's kinda sad that we didn't get to the finish line at the same time. But here we are, one more year and almost all of us are MDs. Thank you for a very colorful first 2 years in medical school. Maybe we can get together again sometime soon?

10. C3 and C4 -- EA (kahit iniwan mo kami), Czi, Lei, Makoi, Shakers, Ian and Oliver

I actually enjoyed the year with you. You guys helped me make my JI year bearable and happy. The thought of going back to the duties without you there breaks my heart. I miss you all already. And to my subgroup C4 -- for making me you "baby", for always reminding me to not to fight with intoxicated patients, for saving my ass when I can't get a procedure done. I miss you already.

11. Rochie Cuevas PhD -- the Bestfriend

Remember when we were in 1st grade, we said that we'll attend HS in UPRHS, college in UPLB then go to med school. So I didn't go to UPRHS, I didn't make the cut or UPLB because I took my chances in UPD instead. But you didn't go to med school so that makes us even.

Seriously, thank you for being my breath of fresh air year after year. Whether I got promoted or retained, you always show up in the Orange House, either to congratulate me or cheer me up. Twenty-four years of friendship can never go wrong!

12. The DLRC Kids

Hey you. Thank you for always being "happy". You always spread happiness when you're around. Sorry for the missed birthdays and gatherings when I'm on duty or have a big exam. We'll have SS again this year, yes? Yes!

Did I miss anyone? Yes, I did. I deliberately did. You know who you are. No thank you for you just yet, we still have a long way to go.



No comments:

Post a Comment